YOU AND YOUR BABY BOTH BENEFIT FROM BREASTFEEDING.
“Breastfeeding is baby's first immunization.” – AAP
Orange County Breastfeeding Consultants prides itself in providing the best care and easiest availability to our clients. Our mission is to promote the ultimate health and well being for each mother and baby through the benefits of breastfeeding by providing breastfeeding education, support, care and service.
Not all lactation consultants are the same and each consultant will bring a unique perspective and experience from his or her educational and professional background.
Orange County Breastfeeding Consultants have experience as registered nurses and have over forty years of experience caring for mothers and their infants. They not only have keen assessment skills to detect a potential problem, but they have experience teaching new parents the latest information on infant care practices. This experience helps our clients feel more confident and the early postpartum period go more smoothly. OCBC understands that the more information and support new parents have, the more they can enjoy their baby.
When a family schedules an appointment with OCBC, they can rest assured that they will be seen by a qualified and experienced lactation consultant and they will have access to whatever supplies are needed for their particular need right in the comfort of their own home. OCBC only carries supplies from the best manufacturers and uses state of the art equipment to provide up to date lactation consulting.
A lactation consulting appointment with OCBC begins with a friendly consultant at your door and continues with a thorough evaluation of mother, infant, and feeding session and ends with education, a plan of care and a follow up appointment as needed. Any lactation advice given during a consult is based on evidenced based research and practice. Each visit is followed by a complimentary phone call to see how things are going the following week.
Orange County Breastfeeding Consultants prides itself with the knowledge that we provide each client with a lactation consultation based on experience, service and excellence with each client treated as if she is our only client.
Breastfeeding is a gift that lasts a lifetime. - Author Unknown
The Benefits of Breastfeeding for the Mother
- Faster weight loss than women who do not breastfeed.
- Decreased risk of breast, uterine and ovarian cancer.
- Decreased risk of developing osteoporosis.
- Decreased risk of developing type 2 diabetes or causes a delay in it’s onset.
- Helps with emotional stability in the early postpartum period due the release of oxytocin.
- Economic benefits.
The Benefits of Breastfeeding for the Baby
- Decreased allergies.
- Decreased ear infections.
- Decreased gastrointestinal infections.
- Decreased respiratory infections including those caused by retroviruses and Respiratory syncytial viruses.
- Decreased risk of sudden infant death.
- Decreased risk of sepsis and necrotizing enterocolitis for hospitalized premature infants.
- Decreased risk of urinary tract infections.
- Decreased risk of hospitalizations if the infant does become ill.
The Long Term Benefits of Breastfeeding for Infants
- Decreased risk of type-1 diabetes.
- Decreased risk of childhood cancer including leukemia.
- Decreased risk of heart disease later in life.
- Decreased risk of asthma.
- Decreased risk of Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis later in life.
- Decreased risk of multiple sclerosis later in life.
- Decreased risk of developing food allergies.
"Benefits of Breast Feeding." Florida Breastfeeding Coalition. http://www.flbreastfeeding.org/. Published October 2009.
I would not have two breastfed babies without Sandy. What incredible guidance and support she provided for me as an apprehensive, new mom. My first born was a preemie that required a feeding tube and some bottles, but despite the extra concerns and challenges, I was amazed with all the careful attention, coaching and customized techniques from Sandy, to get me and my tiny baby successfully on track with that special bond of breastfeeding. Almost three years later, an entirely different pregnancy and birthing experience with my second child left me with doubts and questions on how to achieve that crucial bond with my baby at the breast. Once again, Sandy made it all click. She provided the encouragement and essential tips I needed, right when I needed them most, she followed up and continued to check on our progress, and her gentle, loving ways combined with her expertise gave our family that gift of a second child that turned out to be a good little breastfeeder! We are forever grateful. Sandy is the best!
Thank Yous & Credits
Thank you to my husband, Powers and children Jane, Mary Katherine and Ted for your support and constant belief in me.
Thank you to the lactation consultants in my professional life who mentored and supported me in my chosen career.
Thank you to my clients who allow me the privilege of being a part of a very special time in their lives and from whom I continue to learn everyday.
This web site is dedicated to my friend Zelie who against all odds breastfed her 9 babies.
- Sandy Griffin